Self-talk and Exercise
When you work out, what messages are running through your head? How you think about exercise greatly influences how you feel about it — and how likely you are to stick with it. If your self-talk during exercise is all negative, your experience with exercise will be negative, too.
Do any of the following thoughts sound familiar?
- I don't like exercise.
- I'm not a natural athlete.
- I'll never get better at this.
- Everyone is looking at me.
- I missed a workout, so I may as well give up.
- I'm too tired for this.
- I'm never going to reach my goal.
- If I exercise, I'll feel exhausted afterward.
Continue reading to find out how to turn these negative thoughts into positive, motivational ones.