Get Strong, Stay Strong!
You already know how important calcium is for bone health as we get older, but do you realize that there are many ways to increase your calcium intake besides just drinking milk? Here are some alternatives to consider adding to your diet today.
- Low-fat yogurt: Plain offers the most calcium, but even flavored varieties do the trick!
- Enriched orange juice: Most orange juices are fortified with the recommended daily allowance of calcium. You won't taste the difference, but your body will thank you!
- Part-skim cheese: Not all cheese is high in fat! Look for part-skim varieties in your grocery store.
- Greens: are brimming with calcium. Some of my favorites: cooked turnip, beet, and dandelion greens; cooked spinach; kale; okra; broccoli; and . Try them as side dishes with chicken, fish, or lean beef. Experiment with seasonings until you find a taste you like. Greens are tasty and they'll fill you up, too!
- Almonds: If you're getting calcium from other sources, almonds can give you a little extra! Carry them for a quick snack, or sprinkle sliced almonds on a salad.
With just a few small tweaks to your diet, you can easily up your calcium intake. Give it a try this week!