Ready to start your new year with the weight-healthy South Beach Diet lifestyle? It's doctor-designed to help you boost your health while moving toward a healthy weight by eating lean proteins, low-fat or nonfat dairy products, the right carbs, and the right fats. The first step is to stock your kitchen with the essentials — delicious foods you may already have on hand.
If these foods aren't in your house now, it's time to head to the store and stock up!
Here are the basics you'll need:
* Eggs (or egg substitute if your doctor has recommended you reduce your egg consumption)
* Fat-free or part-skim ricotta cheese
* Tomato or vegetable juice cocktail
* Low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
* Lean deli meats, skinless chicken or turkey breasts, fish, and shellfish, or soy-based meat substitutes (without breading) that contain 6 grams of fat or less per 3-ounce serving
* No-sugar-added Fudgsicles and sugar-free gelatin
* Extra-virgin olive oil
* Nuts (without any added sugars)
* Salad greens and other veggies, like cucumbers, celery, broccoli, and Swiss chard
* Salad dressing that contains 3 grams of sugar or less per 2-tablespoon serving
* Reduced-fat cheese sticks that contain 6 grams of fat or less per ounce
* Sugar substitute
* Trans–fat–free margarine
Condiments without added sugars, such as salsa, lemon juice, hot sauce, and extracts
Beans (canned beans are really convenient!) Keeping a supply of these foods will help you create many delicious Phase 1 meals and snacks — perfect for those just starting out as well as those in Phases 2 and 3. Go to: www.southbeachdiet.com for more information.