Start Your Day Off Right!
Egg whites are a staple in my house. I buy three or four cartons a week because they are such a great protein source and they are so easy to prepare. I’m always experimenting with different ways to prepare eggs since they are a popular meal at my house.
This week, I’m sharing one of my more zesty creations, the Picante Frittata from The Eat-Clean Diet® Recharged! It’s quick, tasty and nutritious!
Do you have a great recipe for egg whites? Share it with me here. If I choose your recipe to be a feature on www.EatCleanDiet.com, I’ll send you a signed copy of one of my books!
Picante Frittata from The Eat-Clean Diet® Recharged!
Yield: 1 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 tsp / 5 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Cipollino onion, peeled and minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and deveined, cut into thick ribbons
- 1 cup / 240 ml baby spinach leaves, finely chopped
- 3 egg whites + 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml skim milk
- 1/4 tsp / 1.25 ml sea salt
- Pinch cumin
- 1/4 tsp / 1.25 ml
- 1/2 cup / 120 ml fresh salsa (homemade or commercial) as garnish (optional)
1. Make sure oven rack is in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C.
2. In a medium ovenproof skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add vegetables to skillet and cook until soft, about five minutes.
3. When vegetables are cooking, combine eggs, milk, salt, cumin and pepper. Whisk well.
4. Pour egg mixture over cooking vegetables. Cook until edges are set and center is just beginning to set.
5. Transfer to preheated oven and bake another five to eight minutes or until center is firm.
6. Transfer cooked frittata to heated plate and serve with salsa (optional).
TOSCA'S TIP: Your leftovers will never go to waste again! Enrich this dish with any ingredient - from vegetables to meats, low-fat cheeses to spices or even pasta!
Nutritional Value for One Picante Frittata:
Calories: 267 Calories from Fat: 88 Total Fat: 10 g Saturated Fat: 2 g
Total Carbs: 24 g Fiber: 5 g Protein: 24 g Sodium: 1459 mg Cholesterol: 211 mg
P.S. Do you like this newsletter? Share it with a friend or family member.