Time to Call in a Sub!
You've decided that you're going to cook some meals at home so that you and your kids will start eating healthier. But many of your favorite family recipes call for high-fat ingredients or loads of salt and sugar, all of which kick the meal off the healthy list. Don't fret! Try these substitutions to keep your meal light and lean:
* When a recipe calls for beef broth, use vegetable broth instead.
* Instead of butter, use a trans fat–free spread.
* Choose low-fat or reduced-fat versions of cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise.
* Instead of cream, use skim milk or evaporated skim milk.
* Substitute extra-lean ground beef, chicken, or turkey for regular ground beef.
* Use vegetable cooking spray instead of oil for sautÃ©ing.
* When using white flour, replace half the amount with whole-wheat flour.
* Instead of eggs, use Â¼ cup of liquid egg substitute or 2 egg whites for each whole egg.
* Instead of pie crust, use crushed graham crackers.
* When a recipe calls for sugar, scale down the amount by 25 percent (for example, use Â¾ cup instead of 1 cup) and add a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, or allspice.